You’ve heard of mug cakes, but have you heard of mug pancakes? This delicious Pancake in a mug recipe is so easy to make and it means you can have a quick treat in just a few minutes. It’s the perfect quick breakfast treat for busy mornings.
I don’t know about you, but if I find an easy recipe I’m going to run with it. With this one, there’s no need for a frying pan or to melt butter, or even throwing out that first pancake. The best part of this easy recipe is that you can mix this up in a coffee mug and have a pancake in a minute, how good is that? I think it’s going to become a personal favorite, the kids love it too.
WHY THIS MUG PANCAKE RECIPE IS GREAT
- Easiest dessert to make with only a few ingredients
- Made in the microwave so no need to turn on the oven on lazy weekend mornings
- A single serving delicious breakfast so need to make more than you need
- Great dessert for pancake lovers
- Have an indulgent fluffy pancake in just a few minutes
- Perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth
WHAT IS A MICROWAVE MUG CAKE?
Microwave mug cakes are cakes that are usually a single serving. They’re made in a mug, then microwaved in the same mug and eaten. This kind of cake is ideal for when those late night cravings strike. You can make them in so many flavor variations.
Full instructions and recipe amounts are in the recipe card below.
Vegetable oil – a neutral oil works best
Flour – all purpose flour / plain flour
Sugar – for sweetness, you can use a sugar substitute
Milk – use plant based to make a vegan pancake
Baking powder – just a little to help it rise and stay fluffy.
Maple syrup and some butter.
KITCHEN TOOLS NEEDED
- Microwave-safe mug (300ml /10 oz) or ramekin
- Spoon / fork / mini whisk
HOW TO MAKE A PANCAKE IN THE MICROWAVE
Start by placing the dry ingredients (flour, sugar and baking powder) in a bowl and mix well.
Add in the liquid ingredients into the bowl (oil, milk, vanilla) and mix until the cake batter just comes together
Place the pancake batter in the microwave for 50-60 seconds. Microwave cook time will depend on the speed and power of your microwave, start checking at 30 seconds, if the cake is done it should look and feel spongey and not squishy.
Remove from the microwave and cool. Drizzle with maple syrup and add a little butter for that real pancake feel.
Tips for this microwave pancake recipe
Use a microwave safe bowl or coffee mug that is large enough to hold the batter with enough space for it to rise.
Don’t over mix the batter.
Check the cake after 30 seconds and then at 10 second intervals to make sure it doesn’t over cook. The timing will depend on the wattage of your microwave, so individual results may vary. Set your microwave to full power if possible.
Substitutions and Variations
Make this vegan by using plant based milk and plant based toppings.
I haven’t tried, but gluten free flour should work just as well to make this gluten free.
Other topping ideas for this easy pancake mug cake
- Top with cream
- Top with a dash of cinnamon and sugar
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or Chocolate Ice Cream – recipe from Ever After in the Woods
- Top with a squeeze of lemon, lemon zest and sugar
- Cream cheese frosting
- Top with Nutella, Biscoff spread or peanut butter
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate or milk chocolate
- Fresh fruit
- Top with berries
- Add in blueberries into the pancake batter for blueberry pancakes
- Top with banana slices
- Throw in a handful of chocolate chips into the batter
Troubleshooting your mug cake recipe
My cake spilled over the sides of the mug.
Use a bigger bowl or large mug, if you don’t have a mug big enough a small bowl will do the trick.
My mug cake is dry.
This is most likely because your mug cake overcooked or the batter is over mixed. Try to mix your batter until it just comes together, it’s ok if there’s still a few lumps in the batter. Check the cake after 40 seconds at 10 second intervals so it doesn’t over cook. It should feel spongey not squishy or firm.
My mug cake is wet in the centre.
Your cake is probably undercooked. Place it in the microwave for another 10-30 seconds. Check at 10 second intervals to ensure it’s fully cooked.
More easy breakfast ideas
Try these Sourdough Discard Pancakes for something a little different.
Pancake in a Mug
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder heaped
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp oil neutral flavored
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Place flour, sugar and baking powder in a mug or small bowl. Mix with a fork or small whisk.
- Add in the oil, vanilla and milk. Mix gently until it just comes together, it's ok if there's a few lumps.
- Place in the microwave for 60-90 seconds (individual times may vary, depending on the power of the microwave).
- Let the cake cool down a bit and serve immediately.
- Top with maple syrup and square of butter (optional).