This delicious Nutella mug cake recipe with no egg is an easy microwave recipe which means you can have an indulgent delicious dessert in just a few minutes.
I love mug cake recipes, they’re so easy to make. All you need is a coffee mug, a few ingredients, a few minutes and you have a dessert ready to go. A lot of mug cake recipes ask for a whole egg or an egg yolk, but this one doesn’t need it at all.
If you like mug cakes, next time give my Biscoff Mug Cake recipe.
WHY THIS RECIPE IS GREAT
- Perfect dessert to make with only a few basic ingredients
- Made in the microwave so there’s no need to turn on the oven and you can have an indulgent quick dessert in just a few minutes
- A single serving dessert that’s a perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings and you can even eat the entire cake
- An easy recipe that’s a great sweet treat for Nutella lovers
- No egg, egg whites or egg yolk in this dessert so it’s great for anyone with egg allergies
What is Nutella?
Most people reading this probably know what Nutella is, but just in case…
Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread made by the Ferrero company. It’s thick, creamy and oh so delicious. It’s used as a spread on toast, but has so many other uses. It’s the base for so many delicious desserts like cake, frostings, mousse, cupcakes, and even today’s Nutella Chocolate Mug cake.
What is a microwave mug cake?
Microwave mug cakes are cakes that are usually a single serving. They’re made in a mug, then microwaved in the same mug and eaten. This kind of cake is ideal for when those cake cravings strike. You can make them in so many flavor variations and the best part is that you can eat the whole cake.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR NUTELLA MUG CAKE WITHOUT EGG
Full instructions and recipe amounts for the Nutella chocolate mug cake recipe are in the recipe card below.
Vegetable oil – a neutral flavored oil works best
Nutella spread – use Nutella or a chocolate hazelnut spread substitute – this adds all the chocolate flavor you need so you don’t have to add cocoa powder
Flour – all purpose flour / plain flour
White Sugar – for a little extra sweetness
Milk – I used full cream whole milk, but a plant based substitute like soy milk would work as well
Baking powder – to help it rise and stay fluffy
KITCHEN TOOLS NEEDED
- Microwave-safe mug (approx 300ml – 10 oz) or ramekin or small bowl
- Spoon / fork / mini whisk
HOW TO MAKE NUTELLA MICROWAVE CAKE
Start by placing your Nutella in a microwave safe small bowl or microwave safe large mug.
Place in the microwave for 15-30 seconds until the spread is runny, this will make it easier to mix into the other ingredients.
Add in the oil, sugar and milk and mix well.
Add in the flour and baking powder and mix well until the cake batter just comes together, don’t over-mix.
Place in the microwave for 50-60 seconds. Microwave cook time will depend on the speed and power of your microwave, start checking at 40 seconds, and short intervals thereafter (approx. 10 seconds), if the cake is done, the top should not look wet, it should look and feel spongey and not squishy.
Remove from the microwave and cool. Scoop on some ice cream and extra Nutella spread (optional).
Eat the mug cake as soon as it is cool enough to do so.
TIP: place a plate under your mug, just in case any cake spills over (this is more likely if you don’t have a mug big enough)
Tips for this microwave mug cake
Use a microwave safe bowl or mug that is large enough to hold the batter with enough space for it to rise.
Don’t over mix the batter, this can cause the cake to dry out in the microwave. Mix it until it just comes together, it’s ok if there’s lumps.
Every microwave can give different results and cooking time can vary so start checking the cake after 40 seconds and then at 10 second intervals to make sure it doesn’t over cook. The timing will depend on the wattage of your microwave.
Other topping ideas for this easy mug cake
- Nutella Buttercream – just some Nutella and softened butter will do the trick
- Drizzle of Nutella – this decadent Nutella mug cake doesn’t need it, but who doesn’t want extra Nutella?
- Add in a teaspoon of Nutella into the batter before microwaving for a Nutella Lava Cake.
- Scoop of vanilla ice cream – this is perfect on the warm cake
- Just cream – you can use canned whipped cream
- Melted white chocolate
- Add in chocolate chips into the batter for more chocolatey flavor
- Top with some chopped hazelnuts for added texture
- Swirl some extra Nutella through the batter before microwaving.
- Raspberries or strawberries for freshness
- Banana slices
- Peanut butter drizzled on top or mixed through the batter
- Pinch of salt to enhance the flavors
- Add some raw sugar to the top of the cake for some crunch
Troubleshooting your mug cake recipe
My cake spilled over the sides of the mug.
Use a bigger bowl or mug, if you don’t have a mug big enough a cereal bowl will do the trick
My mug cake is dry.
This is most likely because your mug cake overcooked or the batter is over mixed. Try to mix your batter until it just comes together, it’s ok if there’s still a few lumps in the batter. Check the cake after 40 seconds at 10 second intervals so it doesn’t over cook. It should feel spongey not squishy or hard.
My mug cake is wet in the centre.
Your cake is probably undercooked. Place it in the microwave for another 10-30 seconds. Check at 10 second intervals to ensure it’s fully cooked.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this Nutella Cake recipe vegan?
More easy recipes
- Easy Banana Bread
- Oreo Overnight Oats
- Biscoff Mug Cake
- Or check out this One Layer Chocolate Nutella Cake or Nutella Cupcakes from Entirely Elizabeth
Nutella Mug Cake – no egg
- 1 tbsp oil neutral flavored
- 2 tbsp nutella
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder heaped
- Place the Nutella into a mug or small bowl and place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until it's smooth and melted.
- Add in the oil, sugar, milk and mix well with a small whisk or fork.
- Add in the flour and baking powder, mix gently until it just comes together, it's ok if there's a few lumps.
- Place in the microwave for 60-90 seconds (individual times may vary, depending on the power of the microwave).
- Let the cake cool down a bit and serve immediately.
- Top with ice cream and extra nutella spread (optional).