This Biscoff mug cake recipe is a deliciously easy microwave recipe which means you can have an indulgent dessert in just a few minutes.
WHY THIS RECIPE IS GREAT
- Easiest dessert to make with only a few ingredients
- Made in the microwave so no need to turn on the oven
- A single serving dessert so need to make more than you need
- Great dessert for cookie spread lovers
- Have an indulgent quick dessert in just a few minutes
- Perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth
WHAT IS BISCOFF?
Biscoff is a cookie spread made from speculoos cookies. The spread is sometimes called lotus biscoff or cookie butter, it’s a peanut butter-like spread. It has a spiced caramel flavour. The spread comes both in a crunchy version or a smooth version. The smooth version is best for this recipe.
What is a microwave mug cake?
Microwave mug cakes are cakes that are usually a single serving. They’re made in a mug, then microwaved in the same mug and eaten. This kind of cake is ideal for when those cake cravings strike. You can make them in so many flavor variations.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR MICROWAVE BISCOFF CAKE
Full instructions and recipe amounts are in the recipe card below.
Vegetable oil – neutral flavor
Biscoff spread – smooth works best here
Flour – all purpose flour / plain flour
Brown Sugar – adds to the caramel flavor
Milk – use plant based to make this vegan
Baking powder – just a little to help it rise and stay fluffy.
Lotus Biscoff spread – add a tablespoon of Biscoff to the top of the cooked cake for some extra biscoffy flavor
Lotus Biscoff Biscuits – add crushed Biscoff cookies to the top of the cake
Cream or ice cream – a little bit is all you need
KITCHEN TOOLS NEEDED
- Microwave-safe mug
- Spoon / fork / mini whisk
HOW TO MAKE BISCOFF MICROWAVE CAKE
Start by placing your butter and Biscoff cookie butter in a small microwave safe small bowl or microwave safe large mug.
Place in the microwave for 15-30 seconds until the butter and Biscoff is melted.
Add in the brown sugar, flour and baking powder and milk and mix well until the cake batter just comes together.
Place in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Microwave cooking time will depend on the speed and power of your microwave, start checking at 30 seconds, if the cake is done it should look and feel spongey and not squishy.
Remove from the microwave and cool. Spoon on some extra Biscoff spread, crushed Biscoff cookies and some cream if you like.
Tips for this microwave mug cake
- Use a microwave safe bowl or mug that is large enough to hold the batter with enough space for it to rise.
- Don’t over mix the batter.
- Check the cake after 30 seconds and then at 10 second intervals to make sure it doesn’t over cook. The timing will depend on the wattage of your microwave.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add in some white or milk chocolate chips to the batter.
- Swirl some extra Biscoff through the batter before micriwaving.
- Top with some caster or raw sugar for a crunchy top.
- Swirl some crushed Biscoff cookies through the cake batter before microwaving.
Other topping ideas for this easy Biscoff mug cake
- Biscoff Buttercream
- Scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Biscoff cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese frosting
- Just cream
- Biscoff spread
- Melted white chocolate
Troubleshooting your Biscoff mug cake recipe
My cake spilled over the sides of the mug.
Use a bigger bowl or large mug, if you don’t have a mug big enough a small bowl will do the trick.
My mug cake is dry.
This is most likely because your mug cake overcooked or the batter is over mixed. Try to mix your batter until it just comes together, it’s ok if there’s still a few lumps in the batter. Check the cake after 40 seconds at 10 second intervals so it doesn’t over cook. It should feel spongey not squishy or firm.
My mug cake is wet in the centre.
Your cake is probably undercooked. Place it in the microwave for another 10-30 seconds. Check at 10 second intervals to ensure it’s fully cooked.
More Biscoff recipes
Biscoff Mug Cake
- 1 tbsp oil neutral flavored
- 2 tbsp smooth biscoff spread
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder heaped
- Place the Biscoff spread into a mug or small bowl and place in the microwave for 15-30 seconds until it's smooth and melted.
- Add in the oil, sugar, milk and mix well with a small whisk or fork.
- Add in the flour and baking powder, mix gently until it just comes together, it's ok if there's a few lumps.
- Place in the microwave for 60-90 seconds (individual times may vary, depending on the power of the microwave).
- Let the cake cool down enough to eat and serve immediately.
- Top with ice cream and extra biscoff spread (optional).