This Carrot Cake Overnight Oats is a delicious healthy breakfast to start your day. It has the flavors of a carrot cake, with freshly grated carrot, spices and walnuts, layered with vanilla yogurt to give it that frosting feeling.
Why this recipe is great?
- Throw this recipe together in less than 10 minutes
- Classic carrot cake flavors
- You only need 8 simple ingredients
- It’s a great way to start the day, it’s like having a decadent dessert
- It’s a nutritious breakfast the whole family will enjoy
- Tastes like a slice of carrot cake
What is Carrot Cake?
Carrot cake is a delicious spiced cake made with grated carrots in the batter. It also usually includes walnuts and a cream cheese frosting. Carrot cakes sometimes include raisins, currants or even pineapple.
Ingredients needed for Carrot Cake Oats Recipe
Full list of ingredients and amounts for this overnight oats recipe in the recipe card below.
Rolled Oats – it’s best to use rolled oats, instant or steel cut don’t work the same
Grated Carrot – use the fine side of your grater as this works best
Milk – I use plant based milk but any type of milk will work – I used unsweetened almond milk
Brown sugar – or other sweetener or liquid sweetener of your preference, I’ve had this with both brown sugar and maple syrup and both options were great
Cinnamon – you could use all spice instead for a more warming spice flavour
Walnuts – chopped finely and some whole for topping
Vanilla yogurt – sweetened is best, don’t skip this, it’s the substitute for the cream cheese frosting that usually tops carrot cakes
How to make Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
In a bowl, mix together the rolled oats, chia seeds, carrots, milk and sweetener. Mix well until the oats and seeds are coated.
Pour into an airtight container or 2 mason jars or bowls (approx. 250-300ml / 8 – 10oz) – and store in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.
Remove the oats the next morning top with yogurt and with walnuts if using.
Make ahead breakfast recipe option for busy mornings.
If you need to meal prep and prefer not to have to assemble the oats in the morning, you can fill your mason jars with the carrot oats and top it with yogurt, ready to eat in the morning.
Expert tips for making carrot cake oats
- Add additional milk to loosen the oats if they’ve thickened too much
- Finely grate the carrot so you don’t have big chunks, this will also help it soften while soaking with oats
- Top with additional walnuts for added decoration and flavor
- You can use any plant milk whether it be soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk or any milk of choice.
- Yogurt – use coconut yogurt to keep this vegan
- Sweetener – use any sugar or sweetener of your choice eg. honey, maple syrup, agave syrup or even sugars like coconut sugar, brown sugar or stevia or xylitol
Add in ideas
- Hemp seeds / hemp hearts
- Protein powder
- More nuts
- Flax seeds
- Almond butter
- Greek yogurt
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Additional warming spices like ground ginger, ground clove, or ground nutmeg
Are these oats vegan?
If you stick to a plant based milk, plant based yogurt and plant based toppings, then yes, this will be vegan.
Are these overnight oats gluten free?
Yes, if using gluten-free oats. Oats can sometimes contain gluten.
Can I warm up the overnight oats?
Yes, if it’s colder where you are, you can place this in the microwave for 15-30 seconds to take the chill out of it.
Can I use quick oats?
Yes, you can, but it’s best eaten within 1-2 days of making.
How do I store Carrot Cake Overnight Oats?
Store in the fridge covered overnight. Can stay in the fridge for 3-4 days before it needs to be eaten. Top it with your toppings before eating as this can get soft or mushy if staying in the fridge.
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup can use brown sugar or any other sweetener
- ½ cup finely grated carrot
- 1 tsp cinnamon *or additional spices
- 1 ½ cup milk I used almond
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts plus additional whole walnuts for topping
- Place oats, chia seeds, carrots, walnuts, milk and sweetener in a bowl. Combine with a spoon or whisk until everything is mixed in.
- Place in mason jars (approx. 250-300ml / 8-10oz) cover and place in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Top with a layer of yogurt and whole walnuts to serve.