These Slice and Bake Chocolate Shortbread cookies are delicious and so so easy to make. It’s an egg free chocolate cookie recipe that just need to be sliced and baked.
Why this recipe is great
- Really easy to make
- No need for cookie cutters, you just need a knife
- Can be stored in the freezer so it’s great to use when a craving strikes or when you have unexpected guests
- Egg free – this is especially great if you have egg allergies or don’t eat eggs
What is a slice and bake cookie?
Slice and bake cookies are cookies that don’t require cookie cutters. Instead of using cookie cutters, the cookie batter is rolled into a log and placed in the fridge or freezer to firm up, once firm you can slice it into rounds and bake.
Ingredients needed for Slice and Bake Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Unsalted butter – softened – take this out 30-60 minutes before you need to use it, this may need longer in cold weather
Powdered sugar – also referred to as icing sugar
Cocoa powder – unsweetened is ideal
Plain / All Purpose flour – measured correctly
Salt – a little pinch to add balance to the flavours
How to make Slice and Bake Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Full instructions in the recipe card below.
Beat your butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer or a bowl for an electric hand mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Add in the flour and cocoa powder. Beat until it forms a dough.
Remove the dough from the bowl and roll it into a roll approximately 5cm x 20cm.
Cover in a piece of plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat your oven. Slice into 1cm discs and bake.
Expert Tips for Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies
Ensure the butter is softened for easy beating with the powdered sugar.
Measure flour correctly by fluffing up the flour with your flour scoop before scooping.
Roll the dough evenly into a log so that the cookies end up an even size.
Cut the slices evenly, approximately 1cm.
Use compound chocolate for decorating – compound chocolate is chocolate that does not include cocoa butter in the ingredients, it is not real chocolate and can set once melted. It is sometimes referred to as melting chocolate or melts. The best way to check is by reading the ingredients and making sure there is no cocoa butter. Real chocolate needs to be tempered where as compound chocolate does not making it easier to use for things like this.
- Nothing – these taste great on their own, you don’t need to add any decorations if you don’t want to
- Drizzle with chocolate and top with crushed nuts
- Drizzle with white chocolate for contrast
- Dip the cookies in chocolate instead of drizzling
- Freeze dried raspberries or strawberries would look great with white chocolate on these.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you sure can, in fact this is a great cookie for freezing. Wrap the dough log well in plastic wrap and foil, then place in an airtight container if possible. The cookies will store in the freezer for up to 3 months. This makes a great option for when a craving strikes or for unexpected guests.
Store the cookies in an airtight container for 4-6 days.
Slice and Bake Chocolate Shortbread cookies
- 115 g softened unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup plain flour
- ¼ cup compound chocolate *see notes
- In a stand mixer or bowl for a hand mixer, place in your butter and powdered sugar.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in your cocoa powder and flour and beat until everything is well combined and a dough forms.
- Remove the dough and roll into a log shape. Approximately 5cm in diameter and 20cm long.
- Place the log into a piece of plastic/cling wrap and place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes until hard.
- Pre heat oven to 160c and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Remove the dough from the oven and slice into approx. 1cm slices.
- Place onto baking sheet and place in the oven for 15 – 17 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the chocolate in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time until it is melted.
- If the chocolate is too thick, a 1/2 teaspoon of flavourless oil can be added to thin and smoothen it.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies and sprinkle on the sprinkles. Let set.