These delicious Oreo cheesecake Brownies combine a creamy Oreo cheesecake layer on top of a fudgy brownie base.
If you have some Oreos and Cream cheese on hand than you can make these right now because I’m sure you have the rest of the ingredients too.
About these Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
- They’re fudgy brownies which are made even better with the creamy cheesecake top layer.
- They’re quick and easy to make, no need for an electric mixer, both can be mixed in a bowl with a whisk.
- A great dessert to get Oreos, brownies and cheesecake in a single bite.
- Not overly sweet but still feels very indulgent.
Ingredients needed for Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
Butter: Unsalted butter works well in this recipe so you can control the amount of salt. There’s no need to take this out early or wait for the butter to soften as it gets microwaved together with the sugar.
Sugar: White granulated / caster sugar works well in this recipe, you’ll need this for the brownies and the cheesecake layer
Vanilla extract: A must in all baked goods.
Eggs: needed for both the brownies and cheesecake
Cocoa Powder: Use an unsweetened good quality cocoa or one you like the flavour of.
Salt: The addition balances out the sweetness of the chocolate and the richness of the brownies, but not so much that you’ll easily taste it.
Flour: Plain / all purpose flour. Measure the flour correctly by aerating the flour (fluff the flour with the cup before scooping).
Cream Cheese: softened – for the cheesecake layer
Sour cream: to make the cheesecake layer nice and creamy
Oreo Cookies: any cookies and cream cookie will do the trick, these need to be roughly chopped
How to make Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies
Full details, ingredients and amounts for this Oreo cheesecake brownie recipe is in the recipe card below.
1: Line base of an 8 x 8 inch (20cm) square pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 160c (320F).
2: Place butter and sugar into a microwave safe large bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, mixing in between until the mixture is glossy.
3: Add in the cocoa powder and mix well.
4: Crack each egg into the bowl and mix well between each addition.
5: Pour in the vanilla and mix.
6: Add the dry ingredients (flour and salt) into the batter and fold it in gently until just combined, make sure to scrape down into the bottom of the bowl so everything is mixed through.
7: Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle half with a layer of Oreos.
8: In a separate bowl (or clean the brownie bowl) place the softened cream cheese and sugar and mix well until combined. You can do this by hand with a whisk although it would be a lot easier with an electric hand mixer.
9: Add in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla, whisk until the cheesecake batter is thick, creamy and smooth.
10: Spread the cheesecake mixture in an even layer on top of the brownie layer. Sprinkle on the remaining Oreo cookies and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Pull out the parchment paper and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
How to cut brownies cleanly
- Place the cheesecake brownies in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Warm the knife by dipping into hot water.
- Slice right through to the bottom, be careful when handling the hot knife.
- For very even squares, mark cuts with a ruler.
Tips for Oreos Cheesecake Brownie Bars
Cut the brownie squares with a hot knife (you can do this by dipping the knife in a tall glass of hot water), this will give you clean smooth cuts.
Drizzle these with melted chocolate to elevate the look and flavor, but this is completely optional.
Don’t over bake the cheesecake brownies, or they’ll end up dry and cakey and the cheesecake layer will be dense. If you’re not sure take them out before you think, they’ll usually set further at room temperature. There edges should be set and starting to come away from the sides of the pan, but the middle should have a slight wobble.
Serve this up with a glass of milk.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add in milk chocolate or white chocolate chips to the brownie batter for more chocolatey flavor.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the brownies and swirl with a butter knife to create a cheesecake swirl.
- This is my favorite brownie base, but if you prefer you can make things easier by using box mix brownies over the homemade brownies recipe above.
- Use golden Oreos in the brownie batter and normal Oreos in the cheesecake filling for color contrast and flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions about Brownies
The process of melting the butter and sugar together is what makes these really fudgy brownies. Don’t skip this step.
Use a knife dipped in hot water to get a clean cut on your brownies.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days. Remove from the fridge 20-30 minutes before serving to bring it back to temperature. Can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, if wrapped well in foil and placed in an airtight container.
Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
- 8 x 8 inch (20 cm) pan
- Microwave safe bowl
- ½ cup unsalted Butter approx 110g.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetended cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup flour
- 13 Oreos roughly chopped (half needed for the brownies and half for the cheesecake)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (approx. 230g)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- Line an 8×8 inch (20cm) square pan with baking paper and preheat oven to 160c (320F).
- Roughly chop the oreos.
- Place butter and sugar in a microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, whisk after every 30 seconds until the batter is glossy, this should take around 2-3 times in the microwave.
- Add in the cocoa powder and whisk well.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add in each egg 1 at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add in vanilla and mix well.
- Add in the flour and salt and fold in gently until it is just combined.
- Pout brownie batter into prepared pan and sprinkle over half the Oreos in an even layer.
- Place the cream cheese and sugar in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in the sour cream and vanilla, egg and mix well until thick and creamy.
- Spread the cheesecake layer gently over the brownie layer. Sprinkle on the rest of the Oreos.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The brownies are done when the cheesecake layer is starting to come away from the sides and the centre has a slight wobble.
- Let brownies cool down completely before removing them from the pan and cutting.