Potstickers are an Asian dumpling that is lightly fried before being steamed in the same pan. Mr Munchies loves Asian food, me not so much. I’m constantly trying to come up with authenticish (totally a word right?) dishes, which have that Asian flavour, are simple to make and suited to my palette as well. Potstickers are a favourite in our house. Even the cookie monster loves ‘stick pots’.
You can use the recipe as a standard dumpling mixture to make steamed dumplings, add them into Asian soups or follow the instructions below to make potstickers. Crunchy bottoms with a juicy smooth filling.
- 500 g chicken mince
- Half a large bunch of coriander
- 1 stem spring onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tblsp soy sauce I used kacup manis, but normal soy is fine too
- 1 green chilli optional
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 3/4 tsp crushed ginger
- To Assemble
- 2 packs wonton wrappers*
- a little water for sticking the wonton wrappers
- *I use the round wrappers which are called Gow Gee there's usually 30 wrappers in each bag
- To Cook
- 2 tblsp oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Finely chop your coriander, be sure to use the stems, it's packed full of flavour. Finely slice your spring onion. Combine this and all other ingredients with the chicken mince and mix thoroughly.
- Set your wonton wrappers out on a clean surface. Place a flat level teaspoon of the chicken mince mixture into each wonton wrapper. Dip your finger into the water and run it around the edge of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half, pushing out any air and sticking down the edges. You can crimp the edges, but it' not necessary.
- You could just let them be at this point, poach or steam them and they make delicious Asian dumplings. Or an addition into an Asian soup.
- To enjoy them as potstickers place a large pan on the stove and set to a medium to high heat. Add in your oil and wait for it to get hot. Place you dumplings filling side down into the pan. You may need to press on them a little to flatten the bottom so they stay standing in place. Fry the potstickers until they start to get golden and crispy. Add in your water, cover with a lid and let simmer for 5 minutes, remove the lid and let the water cook out. Once the water is cooked out serve these hot.
- To make a simple sauce, add in a few tablepoons of chopped coriander with a finely chopped green chilli to 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
Alternatively you could use 500g breast fillets and process it up with all the filing ingredients.
6 thoughts on “Potstickers”
My favourite! Looking forward them at Iftar In Sha Allah!
Me too, in shaa Allah 🙂
I know my family would love these!!!
Aww, mine do. I made 10 dozen the other night to fill the freezer for Ramadan 😮
Thank you 🙂