Mangoes are so so so in season right now, it’s one of my favourite fruits during our Australian summer. My family loves mangoes, especially MU (my lil man) and Mr Munchies, so much so, that we have a weekly supply. It makes snack time so easy, cut up a mango cheek and the kids are happy but the downside is that they sometimes have this moment of being not so great to eat but also not yet bad. Those types of mangoes are perfect to add into things, like smoothies and lassi, but what I’m making with it today is even better, Mango Macadamia Ice Cream. Using my 2 ingredient recipe as the base and just 3 additional ingredients makes for a really easy ice cream. Like the name suggests this one has macadamias in it, but you can totally skip it if you need something nut free.
I rippled the mango through the ice cream, because I wanted to have the bursts of flavour of the mango coming through. The added crunch of the macadamias really gives it life. If you’re wondering why macadamias, well, they just feel like the perfect Australian accompaniment to the mango, plus the flavours work well with each other. Don’t they just sound great together too, ‘Mango Macadamia’, you all know I love a good alliteration around here (especially an alliteration starting with M ;).
- ½ tin (198g) condensed milk
- 500ml cream
- 1 cup chopped mangos (use frozen if they aren't in season)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup macadamias roughly chopped
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat your cream until it has firm peaks.
- Gently fold in your condensed milk.
- Once folded really well, add in your macadamias and fold through.
- Blend together the chopped mangos and sugar until you have a puree consistency.
- Place your cream and macadamia mixture into a freezer safe container.
- Spoon your mango puree onto the cream, with a knife or skewer gently swirl the mango puree through the cream mixture.
- Freeze for 6+ hours or overnight.