About 8 years ago I was in Malaysia, we had arrived there late one night from India after my sister in laws wedding. We were travelling with my in laws and our 1 year old son. It was late, we were hungry and the only option was snacks from a convenience store, not the best for hungry, tired travellers but it was all we could get, so we ate and went to bed. I remember clearly waking up the next morning and rushing down to get breakfast, we weren’t staying in a place that offered it so we sought out the closest coffee shop, a Starbucks. I ordered their Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffin and my son and I inhaled it (Mr Munchies is not a breakfast person). It was a good muffin.
I had been wanting to recreate one since that day I tried it. A few years ago I had the opportunity to contribute to an eBook with recipes from Australian food bloggers. I knew this was the recipe I wanted to contribute. Unfortunately, the book never worked out and this recipe and it’s photos were retired to a hard drive from a laptop changeover, never to be seen again. That is until I had to go through my old hard drive to find some old pictures. I couldn’t believe this recipe had been lost along the way and I wanted to get it on here as soon as possible.
I noticed my photography style has changed a lot since then, but I do still love how these photos turned out, especially for someone who was still learning the ropes and fumbling her way through her photography. Was? Actually I still am. We’re always learning.
These aren’t an exact copy of those faithful Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins, I think the original were chocolate chip, but the ooey-gooey big chunks make them so delicious if not better. Make them one night so you can wake up hungry and inhale them like I did, totally worth it!
Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 200 g 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate (you can use milk chocolate or chocolate chips if you prefer)
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line or grease a 12 whole muffin pan.
- In a large bowl mash your bananas well.
- Add in the oil, vanilla essence, egg and milk.
- Add all your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix lightly with a whisk until smooth and just combined.
- Chop your chocolate into chunks.
- Throw in your chocolate and fold in gently until the chocolate is well dispersed through the mixture.
- Spoon your mixture to the top of each muffin whole.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan.
- Once cooled gently remove. Store in an airtight container.